What is a Quality Circle ?
What is a Quality Circle? A Quality circle is a proven collaborative technique of solving work related issues in an Organization. It is a group of employees performing similar work who voluntarily meet on a regular basis to identify, analyze and resolve work issues and problems.
Brief History of Quality circles
After the World War II ended in the year 1945, the economy of Japan was devastated and its then Government took a vow to rebuild Japan’s economy and state. In this rebuilding process, they called upon two Great personalities called W. Edwards Deming and Joseph Juran to give lectures on how to build economy with “Quality” as a strategy.
It was during these lectures in the 1950s, the concept of Quality Circles originated. Later, this concept was spread across Japan by mainly Dr. Kaoru Ishikawa, a Japanese Professor at the University of Tokyo.
Main features of a Quality Circle
- Aims to resolve work related problems by providing workable solutions
- Are voluntary in nature
- Are based on human building and interaction
- Puts emphasis on participation of personnel
- Require Top Management support in terms of time and other resources
- Aims at realizing improvements in the Organization by synergistic efforts
- Enhances work environment and job satisfaction
- Improves inter-personal relationships
Quality Circle Structure
Generally the strength of a quality circle is six to ten people. These personnel represent different functions or departments in the Organization. The typical structure is as below:
- Firstly, there are members who are well trained in problem solving. These members identify and assist in solving problems
- Secondly, there is a Leader who motivates all the personnel in the circle to achieve its goals
- Thirdly, there are Facilitators who are like a medium between the Circle and the other Organizational personnel including Management. Facilitators also organize Circle meetings in a planned and timely manner. They ensure that personnel regularly attend meetings and they monitor the same.
The above article on “What is a Quality circle” can be used to prepare the introductory slides of Quality ppt presentations.